Thursday, March 22, 2012

Beloved New Mexico

Little things that remind us of New Mexico

When Farmer Jeff and I were trying to figure out where to go for our honeymoon (several years ago!) we just couldn't come up with one specific idea...until we asked each other, "what do you want to eat"? That did it! We both wanted to go to New Mexico for deep, rich, earthy foods.

I had been to the area a couple of times and could hardly wait to go back. Farmer Jeff had never even passed through the state. I knew it was dry, desert with mountains and quaking aspen, and simply beautiful.

I will jot down some of the places we ate and come back to fill this in. I know, I promised this blog so y'all could see where to eat in New Mexico!

Albuquerque: Run, don't walk, or even fly to ...Frontier Restaurant : www.frontierrestaurant.com
It is honestly one of my favorite restaurants on earth. Their cinnamon rolls are sinful, made even more decadent by the pat of butter added after they are heated. The pot of hot green chile that you can self serve over any of your food is sublime. Anything you get there will be good. Open 20 hours a day: 5am - 1am, I would guess that there is always someone there getting food ready. I often go there for breakfast and get the breakfast burrito (one egg, hash browns, cheddar cheese and green chile...and add sausage for $5.89!!! Get that puppy and ladle hot green chile over the top of it...I am making myself hungry!

Santa Fe:
Cafe Pasqual's - we go for breakfast. It seems a little pricey for any meal, but it is great food. I like to get the Huevos Motulenos- Eggs, sauteed banana, peas, roasted tomato/jalapeno salsa...heaven!
The Shed - this is where the locals go for their dinners. Known for their red chile sauce
Bobcat Bites- green chile cheeseburgers that can't be beat!

Bernalillo: The Range - this place has the most incredible stacked red-sauce enchiladas.

Where to stay: Can't really recommend any places in Albuquerque.
Santa Fe: Inn of the Governors...LOVE IT! Both times I have stayed in the rooms with the fireplace. Don't miss their tea with bizcochitos, little cookies with anise. YUM

Will post pics soon!

1 comment:

  1. Best art in Santa Fe -Hunter Kirkland Contemporary Gallery, 200 Canyon Road cross of El Paseo, featuring T Barny Sculptures of Course!

    ReplyDelete